Friday, December 3, 2010

Birthday Treat

On Monday night I took my granddaughter Karlie out for her eleventh birthday. Karlie is the fourth child of five in her family. I'm not sure what that position says about her personality, but she's an interesting child, as all my grandkids are. Logan’s, her favorite restaurant, was really crowded, but we managed to get a seat after only fifteen minutes of waiting. And then we went to her favorite store in the mall, where she picked out a great new outfit, made more affordable thanks to a coupon I had received in the mail.

We had an interesting conversation. I love taking my grandkids out for their birthdays because we have a chance to talk one-on-one, and I can find out what's going on in their lives, and their perspectives on what's happening with them. In Karlie's case, she is one of several siblings. It would be easy for her to get lost in a group that large, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. She and her siblings are encouraged to pursue their interests. For Karlie, that includes her love of horses. When I went to pick her up, she was in the barn, grooming her horse.

While we were at the mall, Karlie helped me pick out Christmas presents for her younger sister and cousin. I noticed the way she took care to consider her sister's likes and dislikes as she helped me make the selections. She didn't just randomly select things; she had reasons behind the selections. That shows me she's a very thoughtful sister.

I’ve got a great family. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment