Friday, April 2, 2010

Have I Told You About My Grandkids?

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a tradition of taking my grandkids shopping for their birthday present, and going out together for a meal. This week it was Scottie’s turn. Scottie is saving up for a video camera, so I gave him cash to put toward it, since my budget can’t quite handle paying for the whole camera. But I picked him up for dinner to celebrate.

Scottie chose a nice Mexican restaurant near his home. I love to try out new restaurants and gladly took him there. The food was excellent, and the service was great. If it were closer to my home, I might be able to convince my husband to try it out!

While digging into our meals, I learned a little bit more about this fourth grandchild. He is from a very athletic family, and naturally he played Little League baseball and soccer. Baseball is no longer on his agenda, but he has found his niche in science and technology. His school’s Science Olympiad Team was grateful to him and his partner for earning the school’s first medal at a state competition. What an incredible achievement!

The video camera isn’t just a whim, either. I’ve seen clips of videos he has put together. They’re great! One of his efforts earned a ribbon at the 4-H Fair last year. He told me about the various software programs he likes to use. I was familiar with one or two, and he very eloquently described the pros and cons of each – in language I was able to understand. What a kid! Someday I may see his name in the credits of a movie.

I think it’s great that his parents are encouraging him to pursue his own interests. I’m also pleased that they are raising him to be thoughtful, considerate and polite. He thanked me several times for dinner and his birthday money. And then he helped me choose and fill some Easter eggs for his sister and cousins.

I found a quote I think I’ll use in my scrapbook someday: “What a bargain grandchildren are! I give them my loose change, and they give me a million dollars worth of pleasure.” (Gene Perret).

I am rich beyond measure.

Goals Progress:

Health: backsliding a little this week. The chips and salsa at the Mexican restaurant didn’t help.

Writing: slow progress. Writing everyday, but some days only a few words.

Creativity: our sewing group made over 250 hats this week! I also managed to make a few baby hats for mom’s club fundraiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment