Friday, January 15, 2010

A New Semester

This week GVSU started its Winter 2010 semester. I’m teaching the same course as last semester, so I’m hoping things will go as smoothly as it did in the fall. I really enjoy working with future teachers. Most are eager to learn, and cooperate with my requests with a minimum of fuss.

I’m also attending another semester of Japanese language. I’m getting so excited about my summer trip to visit my relatives, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to communicate (or at least understand!) a lot more than I did the last time I was there. Eventually I’d love to go and visit the places I’m writing about – far to the north, where my dad’s mother came from.

It seems the more I learn about the land of my heritage, the more curious I am. I relished my US and European history courses long ago, but I didn’t spend much time learning about Japan. Now I spend a lot of time looking up things just to verify that the events in my story could have happened, but lots of the information I need isn’t available in English. That makes me more and more determined to learn.

I feel so fortunate to be so close to a campus like GVSU, and to have a connection with it. I never expected to be a “college professor”, and I never thought I’d be a student at my age. But this is where my life’s path has led me, and I’m enjoying every step of the journey.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

On the writing front – with a goal of 40K words in 35 days, 1143 words per day, I am actually one day ahead! The story is coming along nicely, even taking me on unexpected journeys. My very patient hubby tries very hard not to talk to me when I’m typing – mostly because he knows he’s unlikely to get a coherent response, or an irritated glare if he does.

On the creative front – I’ve made several quilt tops to take to my sewing group next week! Most of them were made before I started the writing challenge.

On the health front – I’ve only lost two pounds so far. A massive cold sidelined me last week, and this week my knees are killing me. But I made it to my consultation. I’m doing well eating low-fat, and there are countless recipes available in magazines, online, and in the super-duper book my children gave me for Christmas. I guess my downfall is chocolate. There’s lots of leftover Christmas candy here. Gotta get rid of it! Hershey Kiss, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment