Friday, August 19, 2011

My Recycling Project



I realized it's been a while since I've written about anything except writing. And that's because it's been a long time since I've really indulged in any of my creative pursuits other than writing! Having something published really motivated me to push on and write more, so that's been my main focus for several weeks.

It's not that I don't do my other crafts at all. Every Tuesday morning I'm sewing, either at church or at my friend Diane's house. And once a month I get together with a group of friends and scrapbook. I have a crochet project sitting beside my recliner, so when I'm too tired to think but too keyed up to sleep I can sit here and stitch for a few minutes. But all those are part of my routine and didn't seem exceptional enough for me to expound upon.

So, I guess it's time for me to take a break. My plastic bag tote is project I'm really proud of, so I'll share that with you. I'm not the environmentalist my younger daughter is, but I don't like to waste things. Unfortunately I forget to bring my reusable shopping bags with me to the store, so I end up using their bags to bring my stuff home. And then the bags pile up.

One day at sewing, Marcia mentioned the tote bags she saw in Florida. She told me how ladies would cut up their plastic bags and crochet them into purses and other bags. They would use different color bags from various stores to make them into pretty stripes. So I went home and found the instructions HERE. And I went to work. The bag in the picture above is what I came up with. I love it! It's lightweight but strong. It's the perfect size for my lunch. And I take it to outdoor events with my water bottle, bug spray, and other stuff. I've shared the online direction with other friends.

Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment