Friday, August 26, 2011

Another School Year

Classes start next Monday at GVSU. I'm going to teach two sections of my class. But for the first time in three years, I'm not going to be a student. My Japanese language class was canceled, due to lack of enrollment. I'm so disappointed, because I feel I'm starting to make progress. Learning to speak a new language is fun, but sometimes frustrating. All the things I learned in English grammar, such as "every sentence must have a subject and a predicate" do not apply in Japanese. And many words we consider verbs are not treated that way.

So, if I'm going to make any more progress I'm going to have to do it on my own, or look for alternate venues. I have a few options. One is to join a conversation group. There are actually a few in the Grand Rapids area, which would require a drive to get there and back. There will also be some groups forming on campus. I'm really hoping that someone will start an online group. Things like Skype and Google+ make that a viable option!

Another way I can practice is to communicate with Japanese people who don't speak English. My cousins and I have been e-mailing each other ever since I went to visit last summer. This has been such a good experience. Sometimes I have to ask mom for help, but I'm starting to figure out more and more on my own, with the help of a few online aids.

I guess that even though I won't be sitting in a classroom, I'll be a student forever. And that's okay with me. Life would be pretty boring without learning new things every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment