Friday, November 20, 2009

Counting My Blessings




Thanksgiving is next Thursday. It’s a four-day weekend for most people. Not so when you’re working in retail. I’m thankful not to have to work on Thanksgiving Day, but I’ll have to put in several hours during the other three days. But I really don’t mind working. I’d rather work than fight the crowds on Black Friday. In any case, I’m thankful for employment during these difficult times.

I’m having family here on Thursday. I HATE to clean. Thankfully, I have grandchildren who are eager to come and earn some spending money by cleaning bathrooms, dusting, and moving things around. It’s worth putting in a few extra hours at work in order to have the cash to give them. And I’m thankful I have grandkids who are industrious enough to work for what they want.

We’ll have the usual assortment of food: ham, turkey, salad, potatoes, beans, and dessert. Thankfully, my husband loves to cook. He’s taking care of the main dish and a few of the sides. And the rest will be provided by my adult kids, who enjoy cooking as much as their father does. I don't mind cooking, but I’m a firm believer that food always tastes better when someone else prepares it. And I fully intend to enjoy this meal. So I am thankful for all the fabulous cooks in this family. And I’m thankful that we have the means to get the food.

We’ll probably play a game or two while the football game is on. My kids love board games and they don’t seem to mind when I join them. I’m not so good at games like Clue, when I have to be logical, or Farkle, when I have to strategize. I’m okay with games requiring useless knowledge, like Trivial Pursuit, but it seems I know more of the answers to everyone else’s questions than the ones directed to me. But I’m thankful that my children don’t share my disabilities.

So I’m thankful for the holiday, because I’ll have a relatively clean house, plenty of food, and family to celebrate with. And I’m thankful that I have a whole month before I have to worry about getting things ready for the next family gathering.


No comments:

Post a Comment