Friday, May 20, 2011

What Would They See?

It's mid-May, and the school year is winding down. This is the time of year for concerts and outdoor sports events. Last week I went to see Scottie's orchestra concert, and next week Gabe's band concert is coming up. Abby has been busy with her soccer and softball games. I love to attend these things. It's a wonderful thrill to see what the kids have been working hard on. I firmly believe it's important that kids get involved in extra-curricular activities in order to become well-rounded.

I was once busy with extra-curricular activities. I was fortunate that my parents supported everything I did and were always there to cheer me on. It makes me wonder: if the kids and grandkids were to come to see me perform something now, what would they see me do? I haven't played any of my instruments lately, so if they were to attend a concert, they would be sadly disappointed. I am not athletic by any stretch of the imagination. I have spent most of my free time sewing and writing. I've completed several quilt tops, but other people finish the quilts, so it would be a show of incomplete projects. I haven't completed any writing projects, so I wouldn't have anything to offer for a book signing, even if I were to go with self-publishing.

I recently read a blog post with the mantra "Just Finish It". I've been polishing and polishing, but maybe I need to just put some things out here and seeing how they are accepted. I need to have something to show the world what I've been up to. And I don't want my output to be a whole bunch of unfinished projects.

So this week, I am going to finish something, and put it out for people to see. I’m not sure yet exactly WHAT that something will be, but I’ll let you know next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment