Friday, March 18, 2011

March Madness

It’s mid-March, and a lot of people are glued to their televisions wondering whether or not their people will prevail. Will they overcome their obstacles and succeed? Or will adversity overtake them?

No, I’m not talking about baseball. I’m talking about the disasters in Japan. My cousins, aunts and uncles are experiencing madness right now. They were far enough away from the earthquake in Sendai that although they felt (and continue to feel) aftershocks, they were safe. They were far enough that the tsunami did not sweep away their communities. And so far, the nuclear threat has not reached them.

But there are hardships. The trains are not running according to their normally super-precise schedules, and electricity is being conserved via planned blackouts. Supplies are running out, even for those not living in the areas affected by the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear power problems.

I know there are ways to help the general public. There are all sorts of organizations to which I can donate money. And there are groups heading over there to help out. One of the GVSU groups I belong to is hosting a fund raiser for relief efforts. And I’ve been in contact with my cousins. If any of them mentions a need I can fill, I’ll be all over it.

But most of all, I’m on my knees each morning and evening. There is only One who can keep them safe, and I’m appealing to Him. Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment