Friday, August 6, 2010

My Addiction


This post is set to appear while I’m in week two of my trip. This time I thought I’d explore my total addiction to the internet.

Here at home I'm spoiled. I have a DSL connection in my home so I can simply open up my laptop and "get connected" to my e-mail, facebook and so many other sources. But when I travel I won't be able to get online every day. I kept looking for a place to go online in my aunt’s home city, like an internet cafe, but either the places aren't listed on English language sites, or there aren't any in the area. I checked into using my phone but it's going to cost too much to get an international data plan. So it looks like my internet access is going to be extremely limited, if I'm able to get on at all. And that gives me a certain level of apprehension.

There are a few "wi-fi hot spots" nearby (at least the website says they're close by) where I can get online. I haven't been able to find out if it's free or if there's an hourly fee. And I don't know if there will be a lot of time in the three weeks to go and search out these places or if I'll have my days filled. I have a feeling there will be a lot of down time, but I don't know how brave I will be about going about on my own. I really can't depend so much on mom to take me around. At age seventy-six, she's doing well just to go on this trip.

So I have a couple of options. I can make it a priority to get over my timidity and take a proactive approach to seeking out the wi-fi areas near Chigasaki, Japan, or I can resign myself to being totally out of the loop for three weeks. With the first option I'll be able to keep in touch with life back home, share my photos with friends, and read news in English. With the second option I'll have more time to visit with my family and practice my Japanese.

I have a feeling the second one will probably win out. Traveling halfway around the world just to get online and constantly check on things back here doesn't really make sense.

But if I get an opportunity to get online, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment