Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday - Again??!!

See full size image


It’s Friday again. Where did the week go? It seems the days go by faster and faster. But I suppose in reality, I’m moving slower and slower. I used to be able to spring out of bed, down a glass of orange juice, splash water on my face, run a comb through my hair, throw on some clothes and get out the door in ten minutes flat. Of course, that was back before jobs, children, and responsibilities took over my life. Now it takes more than ten minutes to get both eyes open.

It seems I was more organized. Not with my belongings (I am, and always have been, a pack-rat), but with my time. Working full-time and raising two daughters who were very active in extra curricular activities, I was often stressed but welcomed most of the challenges. I’d get up early, get the kids ready, drop them off, go to work, run errands, come home, and run again – piano lessons, gymnastics, church choir, band practice, tennis, swimming – it was always something. These days, if I see more than two things on my calendar for the day I need an extra cup of two of coffee before I can face it.

Sometimes I miss the old days, when I could multitask with the best of them. I could rise at 5:30 am and keep going until midnight, five days a week. It’s not that I want to go back – I’m happy being a retired grandma, thank you very much. And though I loved my kids when they were small, I love them even more now that I can have real conversations with them, and they are able to get themselves wherever they need to go. I’m ready for the “me” phase (okay, make that the “us” phase – gotta include the husband) of life. But I think I’d enjoy it more if I still had the energy for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment