Friday, January 22, 2010

Retro Week


Last week several of my facebook friends and I participated in “Retro Week” and used pictures from long ago as our profile pictures. It was fun to see them and compare them to the way we look now. Some of the people I’ve known for most of my life had pictures that looked the way I remember them in school. Were we ever that young?

I scanned my kindergarten picture and used that for my profile picture. It got quite a reaction from my friends. My daughter’s reaction was “Mom, your eyes look so big!” My first response was that my face was a lot smaller, so of course my eyes (which, as I recently read, never change in size) look bigger. But then I started to think about the fact that as a youngster, I had a “wide eyed” innocence about life.

There is a tendency to look at pictures and times past and remember with longing “the Good Old Days” of our youth. We had our health, our energy, our dreams. What would we do differently if we could go back? It’s an interesting question. I’m not sure I would want to answer that. I had a great childhood. I went to college and had a career. I married and had children. There’s not a lot I’ve wanted that I haven’t had to some degree. Sure, it would be nice to have enough cash to not worry about how bills are paid, or to redecorate the house, but at least I have a house, and it’s warm and comfortable.

Were the Good Old Days really good? You bet. Do I want them back? No way. I’m enjoying what I have now. These gray hairs and wrinkles are badges of honor. I’ve earned every one of them. The past can stay in the past. I’m enjoying the present, and try not to worry too much about the future. I’ll probably cause my kids enough worry someday – as they say, turnabout is fair play!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Writing report: I’m actually managing to write the requisite 1143 words a day! I’m at 1800 words – a full day ahead of schedule! This is shaping up as a great story – gotta keep working.

Creativity report: More quilt tops made. I also got a bunch of free fabric from a friend. The plan is to make a bunch of jammie pants for the females in my family. Maybe after the writing challenge is done?

Health report: Made it to the gym this week – a little sore, but feeling good. I’ve gotta go again tomorrow. The diet is not going so well. I REALLY like bread and cheese and chocolate …

No comments:

Post a Comment