Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Challenge

This year is going to be one of accomplishments. I know this because there are so many people urging me forward, I can’t help but succeed at most of my goals. At our family Christmas gathering, my kids presented me with a book of great low fat recipes designed to help me reach my goal of eating healthy and beating this Fatty Liver Disease. My hubby is doing his own research, and filling the refrigerator with low fat options. As soon as I get rid of this awful cold and can breathe, I’ll start going to the fitness club I joined.

On the writing front, my local writers’ group is issuing a special challenge: write 40,000 words in 35 days. That’s 1143 words per day! There are some days when I have trouble writing 200 words, so I’m really going to have to make time to work on it. We can begin a new project, or add 40,000 words to an existing project.

We’re allowed to do some planning before the actual writing begins during our meeting tomorrow. I’m starting a new project, so I have a new set of characters, a new plot line, new conflicts and challenges. Unfortunately, since it’s a historical, I have a new set of questions to research. I’ve spent the week (when I’m not working or resting – this cold was really nasty!) online, looking up all sorts of details about life in Japan in 1900 to 1920.

This is all in addition to the usual stuff in my life – working, studying for my Japanese class, and oh yes – sleep. On the upside, if I’m busy writing, my hands won’t be stuffing food in my mouth. There’s nothing worse than typing on sticky, food-covered keys! So maybe the writing goal will help me to succeed in my health goal.

It’s a win-win situation, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment