Friday, December 30, 2011

My Year in Review

A year ago, I posted three major resolutions here. And for a while afterward I wrote weekly progress reports so that the cyber world would see how successful I was at keeping them. But soon life got in the way and I slacked off. At least, that happened for two out of three. So I guess the usual thing to do would be to do a recap and then next week I'll start out with my new resolutions.

My three resolutions were simple: Write more, weigh less, and create stuff. The third resolution was designed to make me start using up the basement full of craft supplies. Seriously. My basement is FULL of fabric, threads, wooden pieces, paint and other miscellaneous items only crafters would get excited about.

The writing resolution became easy to keep because I started to go somewhere with it. I finally submitted a story to a publisher and it was accepted. That kind of opened the floodgates and I've been writing steadily ever since. I've had three stories accepted so far, so I can't complain about my lack of progress there.

Weighing less is another matter. I like to eat. I like to put off things I find unpleasant, like cleaning my house and editing my writing. Eating is a way of avoiding them. Also, my husband is a very good cook. I don't want to insult him by not eating the fabulous meals he puts in front of me. That just wouldn't be right!

Sewing is one of my favorite things to do. I make time for it by working with two charities, making fleece hats with one group and quilts with another. Tuesdays are my sewing days. I go and meet with these groups and sew. I feel good about that. But this isn't helping me get rid of the stuff in my basement.

What am I going to do? As someone wise once said, we all have the same number of hours in a day. And since I'm basically retired (sort of) and my kids are self-sufficient, there's no reason I can't handle these three goals. I'm going to make a new plan and see if I can't get a little more balance in my days. Next week I'll start on it and share my ideas here. Like last year, I think I'll be able to stay more accountable if I'm sharing my progress with the world (or whatever part of the world happens to come here).

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with those resolutions! I know exactly what you mean about all the sewing stuff in the basement. I rarely sew anymore. My daughter (who sews) doesn't want it. I found a group that sews clothes for children in Haiti and needs material. My goal is to box up what I'll never use and donate it to them. Better to give it to someone who needs than just languishing in my basement. All the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane! I'll have to get the information about the Haiti children's clothes from you. I'm sure I could clothe several children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same resolution to use up the fabric stash in my basement and I will say I did well with that and made lots of Christmas gifts. However, if you have any kids knits kind of fabric, I now have some holes in my fabric shelves.......

    ReplyDelete