Friday, October 2, 2009

What's New?

This summer I joined the millions of people on facebook. It didn’t take long to connect to a lot of friends (73 so far) including most of my kids and grandkids, present and former co-workers, and friends from sewing and scrapbooking. I was skeptical about the necessity of knowing what everyone is thinking and doing, but I take time to check out the latest posts several times a day.

There are a lot of great things about facebook. I love seeing pictures of trips and events. I appreciate knowing about birthdays and other special dates. It’s great to hear about accomplishments, frustrations, and good or bad days. It’s also really convenient for contacting people, especially if I know they are likely to log in often. One of my children accused me of stalking, because I seemed to know more about what some of her family members were up to than she did!

Not particularly interesting about the almost hourly play-by-plays of people’s days. Morning post: “Today I’m going to ­­­___.” Mid-morning post: “I can’t wait to ___.” Mid-afternoon post: “I’m in the middle of ___.” Evening post: “Today I ___. It was great!” If an event is that momentous, how can you enjoy it if you’re constantly posting updates? Just tell us about it when you’re done!

There are ways to avoid seeing some of these things. I could hide the people who post constantly, but I’m not sure I want to totally ignore them. I suppose it’s like being around people who like to talk all the time – I just tune them out a little and let them talk. If they say something they want me to hear, they’ll let me know.

And if I have something to say that I really want you to know about, I’ll be sure to let you know – but not necessarily on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment